Rio 2016 will be the first time in Olympic history that a South American country has hosted the Games. The city won its bid in 2009, beating out Chicago, Madrid and Tokyo.
Around 10,500 athletes from 206 countries took part in 17 days of the Olympiad, competing across 306 events.
Rio 2016 had 70,000 volunteers.The U.S., U.K., Russia, and China comprise most of the other volunteers chosen so far.
Around 85,000 soldiers and policemen were deployed — the largest security force assembled at any event in Brazil’s history and twice as large as the security presence for London 2012.
Rio’s taxi drivers, or “taxistas,” are being given the chance to sign up for free online English lessons provided by the Rio 2016 Organizing Committee. Drivers are often the first point of contact for fans, and those who take the four-month course will mostly likely be swapping “oi!” for “hi!”
The importance of the English language:
- With English spoken in 88 countries worldwide, French with 28 and Spanish with 20, that is the reason English is chosen to be the official language- the international language of communication and business.
- English is the most commonly used language among foreign language speakers. Throughout the world, when people with different languages come together they commonly use English to communicate.
- English is commonly spoken throughout much of the world. English is the commonly adopted second language. Speaking English opens these countries and cultures up to you.
- English is also the language of the Film Industry and English means you no longer have to rely on subtitles.
- Speaking English immediately opens up opportunities.
- English is the most commonly spoken language in the world. One out of five people can speak or at least understand English!
- English is the language of science, of aviation, computers, diplomacy, and tourism. Knowing English increases your chances of getting a good job in a multinational company within your home country or of finding work abroad.
- English is the official language of 53 countries. That is a lot of people to meet and speak to.
- English is spoken as a first language by around 400 million people around the world.
- English is the language of the media industry. If you speak English, you won’t need to rely on translations and subtitles anymore to enjoy your favourite books, songs, films and TV shows.
- English is also the language of the Internet. Many websites are written in English – you will be able to understand them and to take part in forums and discussions.
One of the winner of Olympics in Rio 2016 was definitively the awareness of the importance of the English language!
by Nikita Bhavon, Marketing Executive at Linguaphone Group
- Direct English is a unique learning system developed by internationally renowned education authority Louis Alexander. It’s a nine-level language course which provides English language training from the beginner to the corporate executive. The Direct English levels are designed to align with the levels outlined by the Common European Framework for Languages. Another feature of Direct English is our Business English course, which uses specific business scenarios to teach effective listening, speaking, reading and writing in a business context.
- Want to invest in a profitable English school? Franchise with us firstname.lastname@example.org